Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lemur Lovin - Finally!

Hey all!
So im using my friends host dads comp and she left the house andi feel kinda awkward so im going to try to make this short.
This week was our lemur ecology camping trip! left on sunday and drove a brutal 6 hours to get there-the roads are all ripped up and full of puddles thanks to the cyclone. stopped iun a village for lunch and literally there was an insane mob of kids attacking us for money and candy. it was insanity and i felt so bad but i didnt have anything for them and it was just really overwhelming. its really heart wrenching too because they are soooo thin and malnourished with those big bellies that stick out. it makes me really sad but i canĂ¹t really do anything about it. anyways we got there and set up camp. went inot the forest and saw real life lemuyrs! theyre called sifaka and theyre big and white and you should look them up cuz theyre awesome! did a population density habitat and behavior study on them. it was raining a ton we were all drenched. sat out and looked at the stars one night that was incredible! theres so many stars they fill up the whold sky! sang songs and played cards actually felt like camping. on the way back stopped at berenty reserve and there were literally lemurs a foot away from us theyre totally used to humans there. also ate a rezal nice lunch so that was ecxiting. random food story: so the night i got home i was eating with my host family when my dad asked me what our topping was so i said zebu and he said ya ya tongue and then just kept eating! ah! but im so proud of myself i was just like ok wait gotta follow my dont htink just eat motto and it was only the meat and rice for dinner so i didnt have much of an option so i just got over it and ate it! it didnt taste bad i think ive eaten it like 3 times already. so go me! i would have never ever done that before haha.
anyways tomorrow we leave for a week long stay in a tiny village. im just with one other girl from SITand then a malagasy student. they speak a completely different dialect in this village so communication might be an issue. also they dance for about 4 hours every night! and their dance is basically high-knees and stomping around (chelsea its just like stomp club! ok not just but like our crazy version oif it) not reallly sure what else to expect.

its still raining tons here-walked in puddles up to my knees to get into town today. so hopefully the roads are good enough for us to get to the village.
theres a ton more i want to stay but im worried about using their computer for too long so im going to end this one here. ill try to put more detail and excitingness in my next entry.  miss you all and love you!

9 comments:

  1. woo hoo! lemur lovin!!! can't wait to hear about the village trip...if you get there. ha ha. ok, that was mean, sorry. i will be thinking of you and waiting to hear all the details. stomp your heart out! i love you!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi tootsito, grampa had a dream last night that we were there with you and showing us around and it was great. Keep up the good blogs and have fun, Gramma will write later. love grampa xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was excitingness!! Amazing stories. It is great that you were able to be there-- and brave of you to eat without asking... good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica

    Here I am checking your blog and I am happy to note that you are having lots of adventure and fun. I was your seat partner all the way from JFK to Johannesburg. You slept just about all the way there - and I gave you my pillow so you could be more comfortable. You hadn't slept it seems like forever. Take care. Huiling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica,
    Another good blog. Yippee - lemurs! Checked out the sifaka site - as you said, they are awesome. Anxious to hear about your village experience - have been praying for you a lot this week. We had a downpour rain for awhile yesterday - thought of you and the rain stories you shared.
    We love you. G&G Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Lee!!! Thank you soooo much for posting. Not only will Jessica be excited to hear from you, but it gives us the opportunity to say THANK YOU for taking care of Jessica during that flight. She had told us how wonderful you were and you calmed her heart at a crucial time. You are a true blessing.
    Thank you and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pickle, another week down and counting. We look so forward to reading your blog and hearing about your newest adventure. We are so proud of you for handling everything as you have done. I know we would not have been able to get over the tongue thing for dinner like you did. You made it seem as if it was just another meal. Maybe since you are more adventuresome now you might even try liver and onions when you get home, HA HA. We miss your beautiful smiling face and bubbly personality but I am sure you are making this host family love you with all of the sweet ways about you. As always you are in our thoughts and prayers. With much, much love, G'ma & G'pa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee - thanks so much from all of us who love Jessica!

    Jess - can't wait to hear about your adventures when you get near a computer again! Did Mike tell you that he met someone who went to PLU and did the exact same program you're in now? She works at the call center where he works!! Small world... Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feather Sister!
    I wish I was there to dance with you. Maybe you can teach me some of the dance when you get back. I am kind of sad we never joined the stomp crew but I guess I can just live vicariously through you :) I am glad to hear that you are doing really great and finally got to see lemurs! Yay! I can't wait for you to be home. I talked to Suzy yesterday in the library and it made me miss you even more, for some odd reason. Maybe it is because my feather finally fell out, and now I am not as connected to you. Triste :( Anyway, I am praying for you and keep be amazing!

    ReplyDelete