Wednesday, February 2, 2011

hello from madagascar

salama everyone! so just to warn you all the keyboared is real different so if i type a q its probably supposred to be an a. well im here and its really beautiful. pictures dont do it justice but hopefully i can post some soon. its really warm but its nice. lots of bug bits. i dont even know where to start with everything. my bags were lost but i got them on monday - thats my luck. but all of the kids in the program are really friendlyt and nice. im homesick but im trying just to take everything a step at a time and enjoy where i am; seeing the beach helps but i hqvent gotten to touch it yet. met my host family last night. my host dad speaks english really well but the mom didnt really talk to m"e. its definitely pqtriarchal society. they have 3 girls 18 13 and 9 years old. tonight i  staart to stay with the,m. im really nervous. my french is not that good and i can only say hi bye and count to ten in malagasy. but hopefully it will improve soon. leqrned how to do the trqditional dance and tried carrying water on my head and pounding rice. the food is pretty tasty the rice is different but good. had my first shower wth running water today before its just been with buckets from a river. its a different world here for sure ill never tqke whqt i hqve in the states for granted again. anyways ive been on here for awhile hopefullly my typing will get fqster so i can write more. i love you all very very very much and hopefully i will talk to you again soon! veloma!

8 comments:

  1. this post is like music to my ears! im so crazy relieved to hear from you. i cant believe they lost your luggage! but im glad to hear it was returned soon. I imagine that must have been very stressful for you :(
    oh, and im trying to see that traditional dance at some point ;) dont forget it! im happy to hear the food is tasty! (i mean, thats what really matters, right?) we are talking on fb chat right now and i have been grinning ear to ear basically the whole time. I can't wait to hear from you again. No really, I CANT wait. so please return to all your adoring fans soon.

    I LOVE YOU JESSICA ANN ZIMMERLE!
    Veloma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so awesome! I hope you enjoy yourself there. It sounds like such an amazing experience. You're really missed, but I'm so happy to hear everything's going good. It's super weird not skyping you every night - I hope we can skype soon cuz it's hard not talking to you for this long.
    I'm in agreement with Katherine; this dance must be displayed when you get back :)
    I love you. Don't worry - just have a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jess!!!!

    Glad you made it there and things are going ok. Don't forget to remember your living life! Smile and also remember that you are having fun even when it seems overwhelming and scary.

    “Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Sam said the keyboards were different in France so I thought Madagascar would be the same way. Should have warned you.. :) oops. Have fun! Glad you finally made it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica...wonderful that you have arrived safe and sound. I've been checking daily in hopes of hearing just that. Every day you will touch someone's life and in return, they will touch yours. I'm so proud of you!
    Enjoy.
    Love,
    Great Auntie Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to let you know I have tried to post a comment multiple times. I have not been ignoring you and I check this everyday to see if you have been able to post. I love and miss you soooooo much but I am so jealous and crazy proud of you. I wish you were here but distance does make the heart grow stronger ;) Keep breathing in and out, I know it is scary at times, but you are experiencing things some people never get to experience. Let yourself cry when you need to and don't try to be a hero all the time. I mean that like a sister by the way. I love you so much!

    Sincerely,
    Your Feather Sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so proud of you for going on this grand adventure and I cannot wait to hear all about it :) Treasure every moment and know that you are in my thoughts! Happy to hear that you made it there safe and sound!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica,
    We are missing you here at student Services. You are sooo brave! I can't believe you'll be having a birthday on Tuesday. We hope you have a wonderful adventure......you are in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete