Monday, January 24, 2011

Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone!

So this is officially my blog for my time in Madagascar!  I will only have internet access about once a week while I am there (via Internet cafes and the like) but I will update this as much as possible.  Its a totally open blog so feel free to share it with anyone who may be interested in what I'm up to!

So I'm still trying to figure out how to use this thing but I think its pretty simple.  I'm just going to write a little about how to use the blog for those of you who are not so technology-savvy (hi grandma!) But never fear its easy.  So just go to this page, you can put it in your favorites to make it easier.  Then you can just go there and see what I have written! The only somewhat difficult part is that in order to comment on my post you have to use a google account.  Sooooo if you would like to comment on my posts you just have to make a google account.  This does not mean that you have to make a new e-mail address you just use your existing one.  Here is the link to where to do that:
 https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount?continue=https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount&followup=https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount 
Then once you have an account you can click the comment button at the bottom of the post, write your comment, and then where it says comment as with a drop down box just click google.  It will probably prompt you to put in your e-mail address and that new password you made so do that.  Also, there is a link there saying "subscribe by e-mail" and if you click that it will send you an e-mail when I post!  Thats it! Not too bad huh?

Well I guess I'll just throw up a little bit of background about what I'll be up to.  I leave Wednesday night at 7:18 from the Sacramento airport.  Then I fly to New York and from there take a non-stop flight to Johannesburg South Africa.  Then I fly to the capital of Madagascar and meet the group! There is about 14 of us total.  I am the only one from PLU so I'll get to make some new friends from all over the country!  When I get there I WILL NOT HAVE COMMUNICATION BACK HOME for the first week.  I know that sucks but no news is good news for that and if something does happen SIT (thats the organizations name) will contact my family.  So then once I get there I'm not really sure what exactly is going to happen.  I know that I will be living with a family for the first month in Fort Dauphin (on the southeast coast).  I am taking classes there. Most likely not in a normal classroom though.  And I get 17 credits! You probably all know this but in case you don't its for Environmental Studies and French (my major and minor).  They speak French but most people speak Malagasy (their native language) which I know nothing about.  So yea I'm not really sure what all I will do.  There will be some camping and we will be moving around a lot to see all the different ecosystems (rainforest, dessert, and coast!)

Right now I am basically frantically just trying to get everything together.  Trying not to stress but most of you know that I am pretty nervous.  In fact now I am off to go finish up last minute shopping! So I'll probably throw another post up here before I leave.  Hope you all have a wonderful week! :) Thanks for being so supportive of me!

Jessica

14 comments:

  1. Yup, and I am trying not to stress out with her. I'll let you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you guys think this font is too hard to read? Opinions please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm... it is a tad difficult, but since we really love you we'll probably all suffer through it for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all good Jess! Enjoy and have a blast! Can't wait to read all about your adventures! Might sneak over tonight and steal one last hug!

    No worries...we'll keep your Mom busy!!! Wink-Wink!

    XOXO, Mom #2

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Jessica I am trying this before you leave so if there are any mistakes you can help me fix them. Yes, I am the the Grandma that she was referring to in the blog area and not very savvy when it comes to anything computer. I think I opened a google acct. properly so let's see if this makes it on the comment page or not. See you on Weds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the font! I can't wait to read more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checking to see if I did this correctly.
    The font works for me. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the font is okay, but then I don't really understand why people make such a fuss over fonts these days.

    Have a great time, JAZ. Take lots of pictures! I'll pray for a safe and fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoohooo!! Here we go here we go here we go here we go!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Travel safely little one. I will look forward to reading your blog and hearing all about the amazing things you will be doing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jessica,
    Your Godmother, Auntie Tracey here! Wow what a awesome trip for you and opportunity! I'll be praying for your safety and for you not to get sick! Little Tracie and Tarek and I were watching The Penguins of Madagascar on tv this last weekend and we were thinking of you! :) Hope you learn lots I'm happy we will be able to hear about what you are up too while you are there ! Take care, learn lots and God be with you!! Love Aunt Tracey and Uncle Mark
    P.S. Will you be able to receive mail while you are there?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jess, It's me Ann, you know "Chris's Mom!! I finally caught up with all your news. I hope you're planning on a book when you get back. I mean putting all your adventures on paper so I can hold it and touch it. I know that's old school but what you're doing is amazing and I'm so proud to be your friend. You can do ANYTHING!!!!
    So continue on your adventures and by the way you're doing a pretty good job letting your Mom and Dad know about these amazing experiences so they don't worry!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Makes Paris seem soooo close. XXOO Ann

    ReplyDelete